Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Aloha Rain

My first random memory is during a spring time rain. Hawaii has intermittent rains that can come and go at a moments notice. It was one of these moments while Mrs Gato and I were enjoying our morning devotion time together on the love seat; me with my Bible in my lap and Mrs Gato drifting off in revere beside me. I looked up as a cool wind brought a heavier rain through the louvered windows. Two fledgling doves darted onto the sill of our second story window to take cover from the sudden deluge. Gato sprang off the seat and crouched down in front of the open window ready to pounce. I closed my book and crawled down slowly to the floor to be eye level with the birds and Gato. Then I whispered "Wait Mrs Gato. They are just babies. They cant fly. They are coming out of the rain. Wait till they are gone. Then you can pounce on the annoying male doves all you want." She listened. Her ears pivoting in my direction but never taking her eyes off  the birds. Then Gato did the sweetest thing. She curled up in a little ball and watched as if she were watching her own little ones. The rain vanished quickly as it had come. Seeing the sun peak out again; the mother bird chirped and urged her little babies to try again. The babies flapped their downy wings and whooshed away carried by a soft breeze. Mrs Gato knew the importance of that first flight and blinked in contentment when they took off safely. The next day however she is was in full cat patrol chasing the cocky male doves with their incessant hoo-ooing off our landing. That's my Mrs Gato.

No comments:

Post a Comment